Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Sweet, Sweet Freedom

I made a brief interlude between exams to go to London for the weekend (May 10 to May 12) with a friend of mine for the almost sole purpose of going on the Harry Potter Studio Tour.  We traveled by train early Friday morning and spent the afternoon exploring the Tate Modern Museum of Art with a quick visit to the Shakespeare Globe Theatre gift shop.  I don't really understand art in general, so the modern art museum was interesting but not terribly compelling.  One piece was just a mirror stuck on the wall.  How is that art?  Are we the subjects?  Is our reflection the true art?  I don't get it.

The Harry Potter tour was definitely the highlight of our trip.  I highly, highly recommend this tour to anyone who is a huge Harry Potter fan.  All the sets and costumes and make up and props are the actual pieces used in the movies.  Apparently, the beds in the boy's dormitory were made for eleven-year old boys, so as the actors grew they had to use intense angling to make it look like they still fit in the beds.  And Hermione's clothes are tiny - so tiny.  Emma Watson must be such a small person.  You can't tell on camera, but she's so tiny!  And Daniel Radcliffe is about my height, maybe a little taller.  I kept picturing him taller in my head.  The actors kind of fit the characters - Rupert Grint is tall, Daniel Radcliffe about average, and Emma Watson petite.  The model of Hogwarts that they used for the big, sweeping shots of the castle was a lot bigger than I thought it would be.  It has its own huge room, with a walkway going around it so you can see all the different angles.  That was definitely my favorite part of the tour - with the Harry Potter theme song playing over the speakers, I had some intense flashbacks to my childhood.

The Millennium Bridge

Globe Theatre


So tiny!

From the Ministry of Magic

Diagon Alley

Hogwarts


We also made a stop at the London Aquarium after our morning tour.  Fish are always cool, and it was a good way to end a long day.



Dory!



Overall, London was a good respite from exams, and I'm glad I went on the trip.  I'd like to visit again someday, if only to attend a Shakespeare play at the Globe Theatre - a dream come true for a literature nerd like me!

After May 14, I was free to explore Edinburgh to my heart's content.  I visited the Leith harbor with my friends, climbed Arthur's Seat two more times, went wandering on Calton Hill one afternoon, watched copious amounts of Doctor Who, drank far too much tea, visited the Writer's Museum, visited the National Museum, sat in a session of the Scottish Parliament, visited a farmer's market under the shadow of the castle, and spent much time with the friends of mine who were leaving earlier than me.

Arthur's Seat Round 2

Arthur's Seat Round 2

Arthur's Seat Round 2

Outside of the Scottish Parliament building

Farmer's Market!

Arthur's Seat Round 3

Arthur's Seat Round 3

Arthur's Seat Round 3

Arthur's Seat Round 3
As I pack up my things and prepare to leave Edinburgh on Friday, May 31st, I can't help but wonder if it will be just as strange re-adapting to an American lifestyle.  It  might take me a few days to look left then right before crossing the street, rather than the 'right then left' I've gotten used to.  I'm sure I'll be greatly appreciative of the 24/7 hours of a lot of stores back home - especially Walmart.  I've missed my 'one-stop-shopping' at Walmart.  It'll take me awhile to get used to the Virginia humidity again, after being in cold weather for five months straight.  The lack of Scottish accents and beautiful castles and mountains will be a loss, but I think I'll manage.  It's strange to think of leaving a place that has become my home and knowing that I won't be back for a long while.  UMW, should I ever desire to come back after graduating next summer, is only in Fredericksburg - even if I'm in another State, I won't have to go too far to visit.  Edinburgh is an ocean away, and who knows when I'll be able to afford a visit?  I wish I could split myself in half, so I could both stay here and return to the States.

Despite my mixed feelings, I am definitely excited to go home and see my family and friends again.  Two days from now, I'll be boarding my plane from Edinburgh to D.C., and well on my way home!

No comments:

Post a Comment